Request Program Info.
Terms and Conditions
BORN TO STYLE SCHOLARSHIP TERMS AND CONDITIONS
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
This contest is sponsored by Collega International Inc. (the "Contest Sponsor"). Contest starts at 12:00:01 a.m. Eastern Time ("ET") on Wednesday, November 7th, 2012 and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. ET on Friday, May 31st, 2013 (the "Contest Period"). Last date to submit a video is March 1st, 2013.
The eligibility requirements are as follows:
This contest is open to all legal residents of Canada (except for residents of the province of Québec) who have reached the age of sixteen (16) as of the date entered into the contest.
Employees, agents and representatives of the Contest Sponsor, or a member of any such employee’s immediate family (regardless of where they live) or a person with whom any such person is domiciled (whether related to the employee or not) are not eligible to enter this contest. In these Official Contest Rules, “immediate family” includes mother, father, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, partner or spouse. Entrants may not have prior professional training as a hairstylist or be a registered apprentice.
2. ONLINE ENTRY ONLY
(1) Visit borntostyle.ca to complete the official online contest entry form. First, enter your name, full home address, email address, daytime/ evening telephone number and select the Aveda Institute location for which you are applying (Toronto, Winnipeg, Vancouver, or Calgary). Next, complete the online questionnaire (150 word limit per answer to each question). Then, upload a video essay which demonstrates your biggest inspiration for entering the hair industry. Videos should be a maximum of ninety (90) seconds in length. Entrants are to post videos as a reply on the Aveda Canada YouTube channel; have family and friends visit the site, view, rate and repost their videos; and share the videos on Facebook and Twitter (the “Online Activity”). On completion of these three steps, entrants receive one entry into the contest. Limit of one (1) entry per person. Only online submissions will be accepted. Applications must be completed before March 01, 2013. Only Online Activity on or before March 01, 2013 shall be considered by the Judging Panel. All Entries become the property of the Contest Sponsor and will not be returned. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, each Entrant, by entering into the Contest, assigns and transfers all copyright interest he or she may have in and to his or her video essay to the Contest Sponsor, and waives any and all moral rights he or she may have in respect thereto. Entrants’ chances of winning depend upon number of eligible entries received and quality of videos and online questionnaire submitted.
There is one (1) grand prize available to be won from each of the Aveda Institute Toronto, a hair school in Toronto, Ontario, Aveda Institute Vancouver, a hair school located in Vancouver, British Columbia, Aveda Institute Calgary, a hair school located in Calgary, Alberta, and Aveda Institute Winnipeg totalling four (4) grand prizes. Each grand prize shall consist of one fully paid hair design scholarship to the Aveda Institute you have chosen (the “Grand Prize”). The approximate retail value of Grand Prize is as follows: Aveda Institute Toronto, $13,000.00, Aveda Institute Calgary, $10,500.00, Aveda Institute Vancouver, $11,000.00, Aveda Institute Winnipeg, $10,000.00.
There is one (1) second prize available to be won from each of the Aveda Institute Toronto hair design program in Toronto, Aveda Institute Winnipeg, Aveda Institute Vancouver hairstyling program in Vancouver, and Aveda Institute Calgary hairdressing school in Calgary, totalling four (4) second prizes. Each second prize shall consist of one voucher valued at $1,500.00 off tuition at the Aveda Institute specified on the voucher.
There is one (1) third prize available to be won from each of the Aveda Institute Winnipeg hairstyling program, Aveda Institute Toronto hairstyling program, Aveda Institute Vancouver hairstyling program, and Aveda Institute Calgary hairstyling program, totalling four (4) third prizes. Each third prize shall consist of one voucher valued at $1,000.00 off tuition at the Aveda Institute hair school location specified on the voucher.
There is one (1) fourth prize available to be won from each of the Aveda Institute Toronto, Aveda Institute Vancouver, Aveda Institute Calgary, Aveda Institute Winnipeg and Aveda Institute Victoria, totalling four (4) fourth prizes. Each fourth prize shall consist of one voucher valued at $500.00 off tuition at the Aveda Institute specified on the voucher.
There is one (1) fifth prize available to be won from each of the Aveda Institute Toronto, Aveda Institute Vancouver, Aveda Institute Winnipeg, and Aveda Institute Calgary, totalling four (4) fifth prizes. Each fifth prize shall consist of one voucher valued at $500.00 off tuition at the Aveda Institute specified on the voucher.
All of the foregoing shall be collectively referred to as (the “Prizes”). Prizes must be accepted as awarded, are non-refundable and non-transferable. Contest Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to substitute a prize of equal or greater monetary value.
Three preliminary incentives will also be awarded. The first entry to receive 150 “likes” generated from Online Activity on or before Friday November 30, 2012 will receive an AVEDA gift card valued at $150.00. The first entry to receive 500 “likes” generated from Online Activity on or before December 29, 2012 will receive an AVEDA gift card valued at $300.00. The first entry to receive 1500 “likes” generated from Online Activity on or before January 5, 2013 will receive a Visa gift card valued at $500.00. Preliminary incentive recipients will be contacted directly by telephone within ten (10) business days of the incentive deadline to collect their award.
4. JUDGING: FINALIST AND WINNER SELECTION
(1) The judging panel will consist of a member of the Aveda Canada Creative team, a member of the Institute Education leadership team, one Aveda Institute Director, one hair or beauty industry professional, and one education professional from outside of the Aveda team (the “Judging Panel”). Decisions of the judging panel will be final and there will be no right of appeal.
(2) Five (5) finalists will be chosen for each Aveda Institute location. One (1) finalist will be a People’s Choice. The other four (4) finalists will be the Judging Panel’s Choice.
- People’s Choice: The entry with the greatest number of likes on their submitted video will be the People’s Choice finalist. Only one (1) finalist will be selected per Aveda Institute location.
- Judging Panel’s Choice: Four (4) finalists per Aveda Institute location will be chosen by the Judging Panel on the following criteria:
- APPLICATION /10
- Complete and professionally presented
- Thoughtful and authentic
- Candidate demonstrates knowledge of the Aveda Mission
- VIDEO /10
- Boldness and clarity of artistic vision
- Originality and creativity
- Demonstrates candidate is fashion forward and understands the Aveda mission
- Overall Impression
(3) The five (5) szelected entries per Aveda Institute location, totalling twenty (20) finalists, will be contacted by telephone and email within five (5) business days of the draw date. If the selected entrants cannot be contacted within five (5) business days, he or she will be disqualified and a new entrant from the remaining eligible entries will be selected and the process noted above will be repeated until a selected entrant is contacted or there are no more eligible entries, whichever comes first. Once contacted, the names of the finalists shall be posted online at borntostyle.ca.
(4) Finalists will compete in a Hair Show to be held at each Aveda Institute location between May 1st-May 31st , 2013 (final date to be announced). Five finalists will compete at the hair academy in Toronto, five finalists will compete at the hair academy in Vancouver, five finalists will compete at the hair school in Calgary and five finalists will compete in Winnipeg.
(5) Finalists will prepare and present two complete looks on two models of their choice including hair, makeup, and clothing (Models will be required to complete a model release form). Each finalist must prepare a Vision Board which must be submitted to the judging panel where the finalist will be competing by April 6, 2013. The competition will be judged on the model with the best overall look, including hairstyle, makeup, and outfit on the following basis:
- VISION BOARD /10
- Neat and pleasing to the eye
- Shows a clear vision of the desired hairstyle
- Shows a clear vision of the overall idea –styling, clothing, make up
- Shows a clear vision of the desired make-up lookC
- Can explain the story behind the pictures
- Originality and creativity
- Overall Concept
- Finalist follows contest guidelines and expectations
- PROFESSIONAL ETIQUETTE /30
- Finalist demonstrates a professional and stylish attire and appearance
- Finalist uses proper etiquette and engages in positive peer and team interaction
- Finalist is punctual and maintains a positive and professional attitude
- Finalist is prepared with all tools and materials required to execute their planned look
- Finalist manages their time well, and meets deadlines
- Finalist follows contest guidelines and expectations
- OVERALL OUTCOME/ FINAL LOOK /50
- Model selection
- Model transformation (Before and After)
- Final look is cohesive (Clothing, Makeup, Style)
- Final look demonstrates creativity and originality
- Final look is in line with the look presented in the vision board
- Overall Look
Only Aveda makeup, styling products and FIXX hair styling tools are allowed and will be provided by the Aveda Institute hosting the competition. Finalists are responsible for providing models and clothing. Models must be at least eighteen (18) years of age and complete a model release. Cutting and coloring of models’ hair is not permitted.
(6) Before being declared a winner, each selected finalist must first correctly answer without assistance of any kind, whether mechanical or otherwise, a time-limited mathematical skill-testing question within five (5) business days of prize notification. The selected finalist will also be required to sign and return, within ten (10) business days of prize notification, a Declaration and Release Form (the “Release Form”) confirming compliance with these Official Contest Rules, acceptance of the Prize as awarded without substitution, and releasing the Contest Sponsor, their affiliated and related companies, and their respective shareholders, directors, officers, employees, agents, dealers, representatives, successors and assigns from any liability in connection with the Prize or this contest. In addition to the foregoing, in order to a claim the Prize, the selected finalist must have reached the age of majority in their Province of residence on or before April 23, 2012. If a selected finalist of a Prize is over 16 years of age but under the age of majority in his/her Province of residence, the Prize will be awarded to the parent or legal guardian of such person, who must accept the Prize on the individual’s behalf. Contest Sponsor reserves the right to verify the age of any selected finalist.
(7) Declining the Prize, failing to answer the mathematical skill-testing question correctly or failing to return the Release Form within the specified time will cause the Prize to be forfeited and a new winner from the remaining eligible finalists will be selected and the process noted above will be repeated until a winner is declared or there are no more eligible entries, whichever comes first.
(8) The Prizes apply to tuition costs only and do not include payment of books, supplies, materials, kits and taxes, which costs shall all be the responsibility of the winners. Prizes cannot be redeemed until July 1, 2013 and exclude September enrollments. Winners must execute a contract with the Aveda Institute where they will be attending, meet all admissions requirements, participate in an informational interview, provide references, and attend the program within two years of being awarded the Prize, failing which he or she shall be deemed to have forfeited any right or entitlement to the Prize.
(9) Winners must maintain satisfactory academic progress. The Scholarship will be suspended in the event student’s cumulative grade-point average falls below a pre-determined average or if the student fails a module. The Scholarship is forfeit in the event the student withdraws or is dismissed from the school which awarded it for any reason. Scholarship money awarded will be prorated during the length of the student’s program. In the event education is terminated either by the student or the participating school/Contest Sponsor, the scholarship becomes null and void; any future quarter scholarship dollars not used will be revoked and will not be available upon re-entry.
(10) Winners must post a minimum of one blog post per month to avedainstitute.ca/blog throughout the duration of their Scholarship at the Institute. The Scholarship will be suspended indefinitely in the event a winner fails to fulfill this requirement and may only be reinstated once this requirement has been fulfilled.
(11) Winners must participate in one five hour photo shoot and write up to be posted at avedainstitute.ca/blog upon graduation from the Institute. Winners must also participate in one five hour photo shoot, video and write up to be posted at avedainstitute.ca/blog on or before the one year anniversary of their graduation from the Institute. In the event that a winner fails to fulfill this requirement when requested by the Institute, the Scholarship herein provided is forfeit, and all sums relating to the education of such winner shall become immediately due and payable to the Institute.
(1) This contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations. All decisions of the Judging Panel are final and the Contest Sponsor and Judging Panel shall not be held responsible for any accident, negligence, printing, administrative or other errors that may arise or occur in connection with the contest with no obligation or liability, subject to applicable law.
(2) No correspondence will be entered into except with selected finalist. By entering this contest and accepting the Prize, the winner consents to the use of his or her name, city of residence, video image, voice, and/or photograph in any related publicity or Internet posting without further notification or compensation.
(3) By accepting the Prize, the winner releases and agrees to hold the Contest Sponsor, its directors, employees, officers and agents, including without limitation their advertising and promotion agencies and the Judging Panel, harmless against any and all manner of action, causes of action, suits, debts, covenants, contracts, claims and demands, including legal fees and expenses, whatsoever, including but not limited to, claims based on negligence, breach of contract and fundamental breach and liability for physical injury, death or property damage which the entrants or his or her administrators, heirs, successors or assigns might have or could have, by reason of or arising out of the entrant’s participation in the contest and/ or in connection with the acceptance and/or use by the entrant of the Prize awarded.
(4) All entries become the property of the Contest Sponsor upon receipt and will not be returned. No responsibility will be taken for any failure of the website during the promotion or for any problems or technical malfunction of a telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail, online, or Internet entry to be received by the Contest Sponsor on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination thereof including any injury or damage to an entrant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from playing or downloading any material in the promotion.
(5) The Contest Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend or amend this Contest, or any portion thereof, in the event of any accident, printing, administrative, or other error or any kind without prior notice or obligation. The Contest Sponsor reserves the right to cancel or suspend the Internet portion of this contest should a virus, bug or any other cause beyond the reasonable control of the Contest Sponsor corrupt the security or proper administration of the contest from among all eligible entries received to that date. Any attempt to deliberately damage any website or to undermine the legitimate operation of this promotion is a violation of criminal and civil laws, and should such an attempt be made, the Contest Sponsor reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law, including criminal prosecution.
(6) Entries are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are forged, falsified, altered or tampered with in any way. In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of the person submitting an electronic entry, the entry will be deemed submitted by the “authorized account holder”. That is the person in whose name the Internet service or text message service is registered, provided that person meets all eligibility criteria set forth in the Eligibility section of these Official Contest Rules and Regulations. “Authorized Holder” shall mean the natural person assigned to the e-mail or text messaging address by an Internet service provider, online service provider, phone company, mobile phone service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning email/text messaging addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail/text message address. The Contest Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual (and all of his or her entries) who tampers with the entry process.
(7) By entering this Contest, Entrant acknowledges that he or she understands the Competition criteria above and agrees to abide by them. Entrant represents that all the information Entrant supplies is true and, in the case of the questionnaire, video and vision board, original. Entrant hereby irrevocably gives his or her consent to Contest Sponsor, and those it may authorize, to photograph, film, and/or videotape Entrant and/or Entrant’s work, and to quote and record statements made by Entrant and to use, reproduce, publicly display, distribute, sell, and/or create derivative works from Entrant’s image, images of Entrant’s artwork, and statements made by Entrant (with or without Entrant’s name) and to identify Entrant by name and/or with school and employment information, in all forms of media now known or later developed, including without limitation, on the internet, for any editorial, promotional, advertising, trade, commercial, or other purpose whatsoever, in perpetuity throughout the world. Entrant understands that Contest Sponsor and those they may authorize shall not be responsible for unauthorized duplications/use by third party on the internet or otherwise. Entrant hereby releases Contest Sponsor, those they have authorized, and their respective successors and assignees, from any and all claims and/or damages that may arise regarding the use, reproduction, display, distribution, and/or sale of Entrant’s image or images of Entrant’s artwork, or statements made by Entrant as consented to herein, including any claims of defamation, invasion of privacy or infringement of moral rights, rights of publicity, or copyright. By submitting Entrant’s entry, Entrant certifies that any work submitted is original and Entrant’s alone and that Entrant has the right to grant permissions herein granted. Entrant confirms that he or she has read and understood this form.
(9) Contest may be cancelled or contest dates changed upon ten (10) business days prior written notice to all Entrants. E-mail communications shall be deemed satisfactory for communicating any changes to Entrants.
6. QUEBEC RESIDENTS
Québec residents are excluded from participating in this Contest.